Monday, February 4, 2013

Secret Kisses Lipstick - Haul, Swatches, Review!

I have been obsessed with searching around for good places to get alternative-coloured lipsticks for an AGE and never made the jump to buy any until a recent purchase from Secret Kisses, which has a dizzying array of colours from all over the rainbow. Want green or yellow lipstick? They have it. I've had my eye on blue and purple for a while.



The Choices
Lime Crime has a fantastic range but there has been drama with the company in terms of repackaging, online harrassment of competitors to name a few of many horrors I've read about them. Also, the lipsticks look like they require frequent reapplication and stain/bleed the lips

I wanted a creamy, opaque blue / purple lipstick and narrowed the search down to two: Ka'oir Cosmetics and Secret Kisses. However, I found out that allegedly, Keyshia Dior was a rep for Secret Kisses but then left the company to start her own, virtually identical line using the same manufacturer, and was subsequently being sued by Secret Kisses. So this left me with one choice: Secret Kisses Lipsticks! (Both Lime Crime and Ka'oir lipsticks are more expensive than Secret Kisses too!)

What I bought
Secret Kisses had a christmas sale selling lipsticks for $10.99 USD with free shipping if you bought more than five, so I snapped up a bunch of them (and got two for Suz/Donttheyknowwhoiam as well). I may have gone slightly overboard - blame exam time binge-spending.

The chip in Lavish was my fault - it was perfect in the packaging!
Follow me after the jump to see the review & swatches!

Lipsticks were swiped a few times, in particular, Electricity.

Initial impressions
  • Electricity - Metallic finish medium blue. Applies quite sheer, requires several coats and even then doesn't look even, may be better to wear it over a blue lip liner of some sort to intensify the colour.
  • Sade - A jerseylicious pastel purple. Would be a perfect colour for those with a fake tan and bleached blonde hair but not very wearable for my personal style. Nice texture though, applies creamy and fairly opaque. Two or three coats will get you to solid colour.
  • Rockstar - Deep purple. I love this shade, I've never had/seen anything like this before. Applies quite opaque, which is good - you don't want to be leaving the house with a faint purple tinge, it's gotta be either PURPLE or nothing. One or two coats will do.
  • Kiss it - Such a delicious hot pink, I love love love this colour. It is a little sheerer than I would like, but perhaps this makes it more wearable. More opaque than Electricity, needs about 3 coats to get maximum colour.
  • Lavish - Bright red on the warm side. Applies very opaque, the most opaque of the bunch - SUPER strong colour payoff to the point where you have to be careful about mis-applying it! One coat is enough to fully cover the colour of your lips.



Overall impressions about all the lipsticks
  • I like the packaging - it's plain and non-ostentatious. The window where you can see the colour is very helpful as most expensive lipsticks do not have this and I spend an age rummaging through my lipstick drawer trying to find the lipstick I want. Maybe that just means I have too many lipsticks. Surely not?!
  • Non staining, colours all remove quite well with a tissue and completely remove with a makeup wipe.
  • Creamy, non-drying formulation. 
  • No smell. This is good! I dislike makeup that smells of anything much.
  • Not sure about staying power, can report back once I've actually decided to wear one of these in public for a day :D
  • Dangit even non-discounted, they're really well priced for alt lipsticks!!

You want to see some of them on? Here are my favourites, Kiss It and Rock Star:
Secret Kisses - Kiss it: LOVE THIS SHADE
Secret Kisses - Rockstar: Looks surprisingly good
for an alternative colour, no?
Secret Kisses - Sade: I do not like this colour on me at all XD
Aaaand I'm finally done!

Suzanne went in on the order with me too! She got gorgeous wearable colours; Uncontrollable (pink) and Velvet (bright red) - you may see her reviewing them soon :)

♥ Sabrina / Rose

Want to see our updates? Follow us on blogger | Follow us on bloglovin' | Follow us via RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment